About Me

This is an account of my activities, travels, artwork, and the getting to and from a 7 week residency and exhibition at the Klondike Institute of Art and Culture/ODD Gallery in Dawson City, YT, Canada. The dates of the residency are July 4th - August 19th, 2012, however I began traveling on July 2nd since it takes several flights over a day and half to get to get there.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 6, Dawson City

While planning to come here I'd asked of course about the availability of hand and power tools, either on site or in town. With Dawson being so remote this availability (or lack thereof) would help decide what I would make while in town. The residency provides a mitre saw, cordless drill, and a few pairs of pliers and other small hand tools, not much really. Fortunately there is a one year foundations level visual arts college located about 3 blocks from the residency. The Yukon School of Visual Arts (SOVA) is a part of the Klondike Institute and has some varied facilities. I'd arranged to meet with John Stein at about 1 p.m. today to discuss the possibility of using the work shop and/or hand and power tools. We met as planned and he showed me around. On the first floor of SOVA is the work shop, tool crib, and both interior and exterior working spaces. We discussed what projects I planned to undertake and some of the rules of the shop, as well as scheduling. John works half weeks during the summer, so I inquired about the possibility of getting a key to the shop for off hours/days. He suggested that I get in touch with Kyla MacArthur in administration abut key access, etc. I thanked him and headed out with the intention of contacting her later (she works mornings).

Once outside I resumed shooting shots of 'Kame' around town. The sunlight today was bright again, with a few clouds rolling overhead and deep blue skies, pretty much the same since I arrived. During my walks and late night material scavenges I had noted more rock mounds/piles around town. Directly across the street from SOVA was where I started today. In total I shot approximately 10-12 more sites, adjusting my shooting for the ample light and its direction (basically blinding to shoot into). Here are a few shots from today:







I shot for close to 4 hours around town, doing my best to some unsuspicious, though really not caring as I never intruded on anyone's property or private affairs. A few of the locals did, however, invite me over for a beer at about 2 p.m. (early in the shooting). I've found its best to say you'll meet them wherever they say they'll be and then to just go back about doing whatever you're doing, I'm sure I'll catch up with them again at some point, whether in or out of a bar...

Returning home I changed (it was warm enough to make me sweat, plus I had been carrying a pack with my camera gear, etc.) and downloading the images from my camera, packed it back away and set off to hike the south arm of the 9th Avenue trail (like I'd said the residency hits the trail right about halfway). The south arm wasn't as interesting as the north arm, because it descends towards the confluence, it also runs closer to the back edge of the town. It does link up with the Crocus Bluff trail, but I decided not to take it just yet, I wanted to see where this trail came out at.
Part of the way down path I broke my walking stick. It's one that had been left at the residency by others, and looked to be a piece of drift wood from the river that was also worn by the hands of other hikers. The break was completely unintentional, I in-advertantly whacked it against a short root on the side of the trail. I was a little disappointed, but knew how to fix it once I got home.

To fix the walking stick I drilled a single opposite itself on each side of the break and inserted a medium sized nail. With a little bending the nail acted as a nice pin. Before completely putting it back together I spread some glue on each side of the break. Once the two halves were lined up I drilled small holes across the break and drove 2 small screws into the wood, one above and one below the break line. For extra support I fastened the 2 black cable ties that had been left in my studio around the extended areas of the break. This seemed to fasten it securely, and the next chance I have I plan to give it a test!!

After eating some dinner (Andrew had made curry, and shared some with me!!) I waited a bit and then set out to use my bike to scavenge more material. For the first few trips I had set out on foot, which took longer and required multiple trips. But, with the bungee cord and rope that I'd found in the shed and the reusable shopping bags, I planned to make as few trips as possible to maximize efficiency (its the German in me...). Believe it or not there are still a few places in town that I haven't been, mostly on the south side beyond the tourist stuff. So I headed in that direction an by the time I returned I'd found several large pieces of 4 x 4 posts, boards, foam scraps, and a nice long plank. Strapping it my bike required some skill, though  there is a flat metal frame attached behind the seat. It really just meant that I had to scoot up in the seat so as to not poke myself in the butt constantly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment