About Me

This is an account of my activities, travels, artwork, and the getting to and from a 7 week residency and exhibition at the Klondike Institute of Art and Culture/ODD Gallery in Dawson City, YT, Canada. The dates of the residency are July 4th - August 19th, 2012, however I began traveling on July 2nd since it takes several flights over a day and half to get to get there.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Getting there - St. Louis to Vancouver



I am presently sitting at the gate here in Vancouver waiting for my 6:30 flight (Pacific Time...), though getting here wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, and I'm glad that I was as prepared as I was (printed out and had files of the documents from KIAC, etc...). Because at the customs checkpoint in Vancouver I was directed into the interrogation area for potentially suspicious people. This was due to the fact that I had declared what I would be doing here in Canada - attending an artists residency for 51 days with an exhibition at the end, with the KIAC paying. I hadn't presented a work Visa upon entry (was told I didn't need one, and indeed came to find out that I didn't), but hadn't been informed before hand that the reason I didn't (which yes, I had asked) is because the exhibition that I will be mounting is part of a public art fair that my exhibition will be the beginning of, so therefore the money I am receiving in payment is to compensate me for the creation of work for a free public cultural event. Before the Canadian Border Police official told me this however, he had told me that if they couldn't find a reason that I would be sent back to the U.S. right away...which of course scared the shit out of me!! I could go on to describe the room they had me and many other people in (mostly Asian folks - large Asian population that lives in and comes through Vancouver), but really its just like what is shown in the movies, or on T.V. - not very well lit, just warm enough to make you sweat, lots of roaming 'Square Heads' (CBP, they all have the same hair cuts - the men at least, and seriously lack any sense of humor) asking you confusing and somewhat indirect questions (needless to say I was confused how to answer when asked what the purpose of the creation of my artwork was, philosophical question or legal/political one?).

Anyway, I'm o.k. I got a beer and burger since I have 3 hours until my flight leaves, and my nerves where a little frayed. I'm looking forward to sleeping a little on this flight, and then passing out once I get to Whitehorse. Hopefully with no more interrogations from 'Square Heads'!!

The beginning part of the day went easily enough: I left St. Louis at 8 a.m. and flew to Denver, where I had a short layover, ate a late breakfast (or maybe right on time there since it was about 9 a.m.). The only part of that flight that was out of the ordinary was when they came over the cabin speakers asking if there was a doctor or nurse on board, just like in the movies. Apparently a diabetic person at the front of the plane was perspiring heavily and saying that she was going to pass out. Luckily there was a retired nurse behind me who lent a hand, and the situation calmed down some. From Denver I departed for Vancouver. It was a 2.5 hour flight with a couple of screaming babies, one of who's mothers' had to use the little air sick bag about half way through the flight. I kept myself busy by shooting pics of the Rocky Mountain chain, since I had never flown in a North - South relationship to it (I've only crossed the Rockies once on a plane, and have flown into Denver only twice). I got some pretty good images of the mountaintops at eye level (again a new experience), as well as some pretty decent images of the landscape in general.




Since I've told you the story of getting to my gate in Vancouver I really don't have too much more to say, besides the fact that I'm looking forward to getting to my hotel in Whitehorse (final destination for tonight), and laying my head on the pillow to get some well deserved rest. Tomorrow I'll drive a rental car to Haines Junction where I'll board a small plane and take a flight seeing tour of Kluane National Park and Preserve's ice fields and glaciers (as well as mountains, ocean, forests, etc.). Here's some info about Kluane: http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/yt/kluane/index.aspx . 


B.j.

No comments:

Post a Comment